Saturday, October 29, 2005

Unable to Speak

I'm feeling better now (thanks for asking, Trish!).


Wednesday I pulled another 12-hour shift. One of our clients is a telecommunications company that recently merged with another. That meant that every single cell phone store needed to replace their signage right away. It's a job we've been working on for two months, and it needed to be finished. Yay, more happy-fun-time for Jeff! I set up two of the printers to keep going and I got a cab at 4 AM. I got home a half hour later feeling miserable and passed out.


I couldn't speak at all on Thursday without enduring a bit of pain. Whispering hurt. The day was spent typing notes in my phone to communicate. One of the guys asked if I was playing a game (pfft, not until cell phones can handle Doom 3). I had to erase what I was typing to answer his question. The most annoying part was that two other people were out sick that day, and no one would answer the phone.


Aside - I HATE the office phone. The ring circulates from one phone to another until someone picks up. It's fine for surround sound systems, annoying for offices.


Anyway - I was sitting there working and the Big Boss asked me to answer the phone. I looked at him, pointed to my throat, shook my head and thought, "answer your own phone, dammit." You know? Thanks for paying attention. I've been in for a few hours, and you haven't heard my voice once. I guess it's hard to concentrate when you're scanning Travelocity. Give me a raise and insurance, jerk!

Friday I woke up feeling a lot better, my voice somewhat returned. It's a little scratchy, but I can speak if I need to. I was also dizzy for most of the day, even as I type this.


There's a lot of drama going on in the office surrounding a certain sales rep. While I've never had a high opinion of him in the years we've worked together, he's never been this much of a dick. He just creates more problems, and solves none. Everyone bitches about him, and soon, the Big Boss is going to have to talk with him. Too bad the sales rep doesn't care. He's trying to move to Florida and do something else. He's not in the office most of the time, he doesn't know what his clients are up to, and he forgets that the others have placed jobs in the first place. We get blank order forms for jobs that we know nothing about. We have to track him down, call his cell phone, he tells us to call his client when HE'S the one who should know what's going on. There are plenty of other problems, but since half of my co-workers are Chinese, I can't understand what they're saying.


Ugh. I'd like to spend the next 48 hours not thinking about work. I don't hate my job at all. I'd just rather do something else. Like watch Looney Tunes: The Golden Collection Volume 3. There will be much rejoicing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. GET A NEW JOB!

and buy a bag of Halls for Kids (orange flavor. they're good!!)