Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Few Random Memories

In my third year of college, life seemed pretty cool, but school was bewildering and stressful. My main source of escapism was watching two particular cable channels: Comedy Central and Cartoon Network.

My roommate Moe had a very interesting take on life, and he exposed me to new ideas, comics, and music. He's an insightful person. During the year we lived together, he asked me, “Why do you watch Comedy Central all the time?” I replied, “Because my life is not that funny, and I need to laugh more often.”

Moe said, “That’s pretty sad, actually.”

“Yeah, I know.”

----------------

One morning (while I still worked 'normal' hours) I was walking to the train station. It was a warm sunny day in August, shortly after I moved to Astoria. An older gentleman of the cloth was walking in my direction, and although the sun was behind him, he was squinting. He stopped me and looked closely at my chest. It turned out that the ankh hanging from my neck had caught the sun just right and glared into his eyes.

He said, "from farther away, it was as if the light was coming from inside you."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That story makes my spirit soar.

Jeff said...

Heh. Nice one, Alex.

Anonymous said...

i liked that second story, lots. :)