Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Immovable Object vs Irresistable Force

I'm pretty aware of my invisiblity. The evidence comes to light every so often.

"But Jeff," you say, "guys who are six feet tall and weigh over 200 pounds are pretty damned visible."

Tell that to the people who've hit me with their car. Tell that to the women that have slammed into me on the subway platform.

Shortly before I moved to Astoria, I was orienting myself on on the City Hall NRW subway station. A woman was jogging toward the exit a few feet from me. I turned around only to have her slam into me and drop her purse.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't see you!"

Uh huh.

Shortly after I moved to Astoria, an uncautious driver decided I needed to briefly rest my feet as I crossed 24th Street. Whilst seated on the hood of the gentleman's car, I shouted:

"WHAT THE FUCK?!"

"Oh my god, are you okay?"

I'm fine, but when you see a stop sign, would you mind actually stopping?

Nearly a year later, it almost happened again, with the same guy, same car, same intersection. I spazzed out a bit. I shouted at him like a whacko for not paying attention.

And just this morning as I was coming home from work, I knocked a woman down. I was at the Times Square station, switching from the 1 to the N. On the level where musicians play and dancers get served, physics' ultimate showdown occurred.

Those of you who know me know that I walk at a fast pace, and that my feet are pretty firmly planted as I move.

I was wearing a bright red shirt; maybe she's red/green color blind?

Anyway, this rather pettite woman was running through the station and I saw her coming my way. As she got closer, I moved to one side to avoid the impending collision.

She moved in the same direction, and got knocked on her ass. I took a step back, apologized, and helped her up. She didn't even say anything to me. Aside from holding onto my arm for balance, she didn't acknowledge my existance.

She checked her iPod, and kept going.

Afterwards, I thought, "if you want me that badly, all you have to do is ask."

(I never think of this stuff when it happens. Curse my slow wit!)

----------------

On a side note, it feels good to get back to the gym after over a month.

It feels even better to be drawing again.

1 comment:

pumpkintrauma said...

I was going to say it's because you wear all black but I guess not.. hmm.... mutant powers perhaps? You should test this theory out in dangerous and "randy" situations and report back to us.