Sunday, August 13, 2006

Listen

I ventured out to Brooklyn Saturday evening for another Rocketship party. It's always a cool scene, but I don't know many people there and always feel awkward. I paid for my selections (a much smaller haul than usual) and made my way over to my old house to visit Jan.

As I was walking, I heard a guy say, "hey man, nice ponytail!"

I turned to the evidently homeless man and said, "thank you."

He asked if I had caught the game (he was wearing a Yankees cap). I told him I hadn't. He asked for some change, and I gave him a couple of bucks. He asked which way I was walking and I gestured towards 4th Ave. He asked if he could walk & talk with me for a while, and I quickly said, "of course!"

Richard introduced himself and we shook hands. Short and skinny, with a small bag on his back, containing his only change of clothes, we walked and he told his story.

He's 47 years old. The patchiness of his beard matches the bald spot growing on his head. Most of his family is dead. His ex wife and 25 year old son moved south. He stayed in New York to take care of his brother while he was dying of AIDS, who passed two years ago. He was in jail for two years for dealing drugs to support his family, and has been clean since.

He washes his clothes every couple of days, and tries to be presentable when looking for work. He carries a wash cloth & a bar of soap to stay clean. He sleeps out in the park near a college in the area.

Despite all of his hardships, he hasn't given up hope. He still has faith in god and his fellow man to help him out.

Most of all, Richard was thankful that I let him talk to me. He said it's been weeks since he'd had anyone to talk to.

I'm always glad to listen. I'm not great at the whole "speaking" thing. I stumble over words, and think before, during, and after speaking. I come up with a better phrasing halfway through a sentence. It's frustrating because I sound like an idiot. (How is that different from any other time?)

Richard asked how far I was going, and I said to the train station. He gave me directions, and then hugged me. "When I say 'holla,' you say 'holla back.'"

"Holla!"

Holla back!

I hope I see him again.

1 comment:

Lyman said...

great story bro