Tuesday, July 31, 2007

http://www.hopeline.com/6/AboutDepression.asp

"The bleakness of the landscape is unimaginable. It is as friendless and alien as a Dali painting. Ordinary concerns, such as work or friends, have no place here. Futility muffles thought; time elongates cruelly. Who is to blame for this situation? Those with depression think it must be them. Pointlessness and self-loathing govern them. So the natural final step is suicide. People with depression don’t kill themselves to frighten an errant boyfriend. They kill themselves because it is the obvious and right thing to do at that point. It is the only positive step they can think of."


Kay McKall
an Ipswich (UK) general practitioner
and consumer with depression,
writing in the British Medical Journal
(NAMI Advocate, winter 2002)

I was having a few bad thoughts over the weekend, so I signed up for insurance. I don't know when it will kick in, but now I have something to look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admit I worry when you write about having dark thoughts. . . I'm on anti-depressants myself but, even before them, never got so depressed that I was in such a dark place. Do write if you need to vent. . . I worry about you.