Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Things are not looking up.

Remember my friend Inger?

She's been battling Phase III Astrocytoma for about two years now. There's nothing left for the doctors to do, except for some radical treatment that has a better chance of killing her than helping her. Because of all the damage done to her brain, her short-term memory is fading fast. A nurse comes in for a few hours every day to look after her, and her fiancée Michael is taking care of her.

I don't know if she remembers me. I haven't seen her since Liam's baptism, before she got sick.

It figures - one of the very few people to make me feel like a human being, like I'm worthy of receiving love and affection, like I'm worthy of living, is lying on her death bed.

I'm trying to write her a letter, but I don't know what to say, other than how much I love & miss her.

I hate losing friends.

2 comments:

KHM said...

Jeff, I lost my sister to non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma a couple of years ago. There's little comfort greater than knowing I was able to tell her that I loved her, that I would never forget her or her love, and that she had been a good sister to me.

If you have nothing else to say, just imagine--what more important thing to say could there be?

Anonymous said...

I think telling her that you love her and will miss her is the most wonderful thing you could say to her. Everyone needs to know that they are loved and will be remembered.