Saturday, September 15, 2007

Joe Zawinul, RIP

http://www.zawinulmusic.com/

Joe wrote my favorite song ever, the one I've woken up to every weekday morning for the past eight years.

In a Silent Way, with Miles Davis. I listen to that album whenever I need to relax (which is often) or day dream. He helped usher in jazz fusion.

I was very lucky to see Joe perform with his Syndicate at Lincoln Center last year.

NPR Article about Joe's history.

Last month, we lost pioneering drummer Max Roach.

It hasn't been a good year for jazz masters.

2 comments:

KHM said...

Even jazz listeners who aren't fusion fans feel this loss very acutely. What Zawinul and Shorter did with the Weather Report was of major importance for contemporary jazz. Its a heartbreak to find him gone.

In a Silent Way is a beautiful way to awaken. That's something to brighten every day, isn't it?

Lyman said...

We rocked "Mercy Mercy Mercy" at a gig last night as a small tribute to Joe.