Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Beckys

Ninth grade was a miserable time to exist.

To start off, I really hated gym class. The entire high school was mixed up and divided for the class throughout the day, so I had to deal with more annoying seniors than usual. I was a little shorter, a lot fatter, and had absolutely no enthusiasm for where I was. A few weeks into the semester, these two senior girls, Becky & Rebecca, began to…interact (for lack of a better word) with me in the class. They were friendly to me. For forty minutes, two or three times a week, the Beckys pretended to be my friends, and for quite some time, I believed them. Once, I was out of school for a week with the flu. When I returned, they had made a little "get well soon" card for me. The way they talked to me, their voices sounded a little condescending, but I appreciated the sentiment. A month later, as we were leaving the class, I overheard them talking. “Score another point for the ego-boosters!” They weren’t interested in me. I was just an experiment, a lab rat to them.


Thanks for making a guy feel wanted!

I saw Becky once, just after she had graduated. She didn't recognize me, and I didn't say anything. I didn't see the point.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You blew your shot at a threesome. I'd be angry looking back too.

Jeff said...

Dammit! Why didn't I think of that? I should have played along.

Lyman said...

That sucks Jeff. It seems like you really had a time of it in high school. Hope those demons are getting excorcised.

Jeff said...

Lyman, one reason for this blog is meant as exorcism, until I can afford a professional. It does help to get this crap out of my head, and to get other peoples ideas.

Another reason is so others can understand my fuckedupedness. I didn't become misanthropic on a whim.

Lena said...

That sucks. 9th grade was a very, very bad year.

It was the year I joined the JV soccer team. Seriously, I never understood why the junior and senior girls hated me. They barely even knew me. They made a potentially fun season into the shittiest.

Anonymous said...

Well, you're lucky it was Ego-BOOSTERS and not Ego-CRUSHERS.

Maybe they just wanted to help, and the only way they knew how was to be sort of patronizing. It's probably hard for really "popular" people to act like normal human beings and actually communicate effectively...

Yeah, high school was fucking awful.

Anonymous said...

I was fat.

Omar said...

i was with my first love, in college, for about 7 months when she dumped me. she told me that she first noticed me and spoke to me because i looked so sad walking the halls at school. she ended it, saying she couldnt change me from "looking" sad but looking back i was proud cuz at least i was still ME and not who she wanted me to be. once again, i stand with you Jeff.