Saturday, August 25, 2007

Even more drama...

And I fucking hate drama.

Went to the hospital again on Monday to check in with the psychs, and they continued my prescription for Wellbutrin, as I'm not having any side effects. I left & wandered aimlessly around the city for a while, and eventually got something to eat. Around 6, I called work and asked if they needed me, because I really wanted to go back home. Unfortunately, they did.

Work has sucked all week. Previous weeks had been dead. Monday, the floodgates of stupidity opened. Two very large jobs had to be reprinted. One because a client doesn't understand how to size a file properly (what the fuck does "pixel size" mean when you print in inches? NOTHING, that's what.). The other because they didn't do any proofreading until AFTER we got approval to print. I've stayed late every night except Friday night, because I needed to pick up groceries before the store closed.

But life at home was much more exciting. I woke up Wednesday morning to the sound of the carbon monoxide detector going off. Since CO is a poison, I called 911 and waited outside for the fire department. Two trucks came over, they went through the house...to find my landlord cooking some tomatoes on an antiquated stove in the basement (I'm on the second floor).

He doesn't live here! WTF is he doing cooking down there?

*sigh*

He's always bitching about how we MIGHT be the cause of some problem or another (like R's girlfriend is a stranger and might be a serial murderer, don't you watch the news, the world is going to hell, you can't trust anyone, blah blah blah), and it's never true. Now something happens and it's his damn fault.

I wasn't allowed back inside until the CO went down to safe levels. We had all our windows open anyway. The CO accumulated right in front of the door to the apartment, which is where the detector is. The landlord's wife thanked me for calling the fire department.

Thursday morning, he ambushed my other roommate on her way to work. She was late, and didn't discuss it. She left, which I sure as fuck don't blame her for.

Since he was unable to yell at her, he leaned on the door buzzer to wake me up & yell at me.

He says the FD caused him a lot of problems. He said they had to break open a window in the basement. He said we should have called him or ConEd.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Maybe you shouldn't be cooking your tomatoes on an antiquated stove in a house you don't even live in.

In his broken English, he reiterated that we're supposed to call him & ConEd.

I tell him that the alarm itself says, "Call 911 or the Fire Department." nyc.gov says the same thing. What will you be able to do if we all pass out/die from CO poisoning? I'm trying to protect everyone, and you have a problem with this?

He started ranting about the tomatoes and his reputation, and I interrupted.

You know what? I'm sick of this. Every little thing we do, you freak out over. If we have guests, you assume they're serial killers, and we're trying to move them in. If we have a leaky faucet, you assume we're breaking the pipes with a sledgehammer. The ONE TIME something really dangerous happens, and it's your fault. A CO detector doesn't pick up the smell of tomatoes, it picks up CO. You know, a POISON. Thousands of people a year die from this! I don't want to die! I don't want you to die! I don't want our neighbors to die (well, except for that slutty bitch in the basement next door)!

He started yelling back in broken English.

It could have been much worse than it was! I called 911 because it's the law! IT'S THE LAW. IT'S THE LAW!

What law? THIS IS MY HOUSE!

(Your house? THIS! IS! SPARTA! And I kicked him down the stairs.)

(Okay, I didn't do that.)

FUCK YOU, YOU DIE. KILL YOU!

He stormed off, and I closed the door.

I love getting death threats in the morning.

-------------------------------------------

Inger's wake is tonight. It's going to be too hot to wear all black.

I'm helping Mike move tomorrow, from the Bronx to Astoria. It'll be good to have another friend in the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Matt Algren said...

You know, you wouldn't have this problem if you'd stop moving in serial killers with sledgehammers.

Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Jeeeze, Jeff! Your life is truly book-worthy! My life is shamefully boring next to yours (and, frankly, I think I'm thankful!). Hang in there. . . you DO have friends.

Anonymous said...

Are you okay? Checked your blog tonight and there's nothing new there. Makes me a bit nervous. Just let us know you're okay, okay?