Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Say something, would ya?

A little while after I started college, my parents separated for a year. Dad was cheating, and moved in with a woman and her 13/14y.o. son. She was nice, and seemed good for my dad, so that's really all I cared about. The three of us were driving around one night, and we pulled into a gas station/convenience store. Dad got out, pumped gas, and got us some sodas.


So what's-her-name (I honestly don't remember) tried making some small talk while Dad was shopping, and I reciprocated, because I'm not a total asshole. Dad came back, and we resumed our drive.


A few days later, Dad & I were talking.


"What's-her-name told me the other night, 'I don't think Jeff likes me.' And I ask her, 'why not?' She says, 'he doesn't talk to me very much.'"


Dad and I start laughing at this point. He continues, "Look, Jeff doesn't talk to anyone. Don't take it personally."


So kids, the lesson today is that I'm not a talkative guy, especially if I don't know you. I can babble freely if I've known you for a year or so, and we've developed some trust. But otherwise, chalk it up to my debilitatingly, paralytically shy nature and take your time to get to know me. I'll try not to waste your time, and you probably won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's actually a decent situation. In the past when I met up with Danny's female artists I always got told later on by him that they thought I was rude... I'm quiet and if I just met you don't expect a long conversation or for me to faun all over, maybe they're just used to guys hollering to them on the street trying to get at them, but after a 10 hour work day I don't wanna say shit, I just wannna watch TV.