Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Trapped

Last Thursday, from 2:30 PM to 8 AM Friday, I worked. That's a 17.5 hour shift. I like working second shift for a few reasons. First, I'm generally nocturnal. I also have a mild case of insomnia, so getting up at 11 AM isn't much of a problem if I pass out around 3 or 4 in the morning. Second, I have the office to myself for half of the day. I get to queue up some mp3s and blast music that normally has to be on the lowest setting possible. I also don't have to play musical chairs with my coworkers. We have more workers than work stations. Once they're gone, I get to concentrate & work on multiple projects. This can be a problem if there are a lot of rush jobs. It means I have to stay even later than I usually do, and it REALLY messes up my sleep schedule.

I got home at 9:30 AM, and I tried to go to sleep. It didn't happen. I was wired. I had no intention of going back to work, because I had some difficulties forming a coherent thought. I finally passed out at 11 PM. I was awake for 36 hours, something I haven't done since high school.

All weekend, my sleep was screwed up. I was going to bed at dawn. And I got very tired when I was awake. I got in to work on Monday, a little tired, but otherwise fine.

We had to get access to a bunch of drawers. Leaning against them were huge 4' x 8' sheets of Sintra (pvc for mounting prints), foam core, & cardboard. I had most of it leaned up against myself so the others could get to the drawers. I underestimated how tired I was, because I lost my balance and everything fell on me.

I was fine...just buried. I waited patiently as everyone ran around trying to pull everything off of me. I got my balance, stood up, and dusted off. Everyone kept asking if I was okay, and I was. It was just a very silly situation, lying there beneath all that plastic & cardboard. I suppose it would be more interesting if that symbolized the way I feel about my life, but it doesn't.

I'm not trapped, smothered, or overwhelmed by anything. That's mildly comforting, I guess, but it would be nice if I had some sort of drama in my life. But my problems are either extremely mundane, or extremely tragic. Maybe it's a good thing that I don't have anything to worry about.

However, it would be nice if I had something...someONE to occupy my thoughts. And my personal space ;)

No comments: