Friday, June 24, 2005

Shit List

After I graduated high school, I developed a Zero Tolerance policy for idiots, morons, the willfully ignorant, creeps, psychos, and people who betray my trust. So here's why I don't have anything to do with my little sister & her brood.


During my last semester of college, most of my energy was focused on getting a decent job and an apartment in the city. I really should have focused on the cute girl who would make eye contact & smile at me all the time in my Latin American Fiction class, but that's a story for another time.


Me and my friend Bowie figured it would be easiest if we got an apartment together. He had already got me a job as a coffee bitch, and he's proven to be one of my best friends. So we made the rounds, and had absolutely no luck. We kept trying, even after graduation, after I had left the dorms, had my stuff all boxed up in a friends' basement (thanks, Christian!), and living like a gypsy in Lynne's apartment for two months (Lynne, I'm still sorry about that, even though you keep telling me not to be). Something that bothered me was that I was told many times that I had BAD credit.


Huh? I thought I had NO credit. That's different. I had nothing but student loans in my name, and I just graduated. I couldn't have BAD credit.


So after all avenues were exhausted, I retreated back upstate, feeling beaten and depressed. Then I got a substantial bill in the mail for some shop-at-home catalogue. I made phone calls, and wrote letters to find out what was going on. The shipping address for the items ordered was where my sister was living with her boyfriend (now husband and father of their 2 children).


Coincidence? Yeah, right. My sister was very dumb, lazy & selfish, and the boyfriend was an all that plus an ex-con. Before they moved, they snagged a catalogue that had been shipped to me with the pre-approved notice (that should have been thrown out), got my social security number from my mom's purse, and went on a shopping spree.


Of course, I became highly pissed. It took four months just to clear my name & credit. It took five more months to save up enough to get back to New York City. I had to put my life on hold for a year just so they could put a fucking subwoofer in their car.


Yeah, you know what? Stay out of my life. I don't want you in it. You were always a pain in the ass to me, you practically disowned me when I needed some support, you constantly treated me like shit when I tried to help you. Fine, we're done. Good riddance.


It's been almost five years since that happened. In all this time, not once have they uttered an apology. My parents wish I'd forgive them and be best friends with them and that everything should be great because we're brother & sister and sometimes all you have is family and blah blah blah. Sorry, sharing DNA doesn't give anyone a free pass. In fact, sharing DNA means I have higher standards for you to adhere to. If you can't figure out that identity theft & credit fraud are bad, you probably shouldn't talk to me.


Due to lack of funds, I only visit my parents once a year, for Christmas. Every year, I get the same speech. If I hear it one more time, I'll threaten them with not coming home at all. I don't want to have to say that, but it gets irritating, being told who to give my love & trust when they certainly don't deserve either.

No comments: