Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Oh, this can't be good.

I got a very nice note (and a check) from the US Treasury Department today. According to them, I overpaid my taxes, by a lot.

My first thought was: woo-hoo! Hookers & blow!

My second thought was: wait, I don't do that shit.

3rd: I should pay off some debt.

4th: Buy.com has 10% off Amazon prices on all books. Oooh, Absolute Watchmen, Crisis, JLA/Avengers, Alex Ross/Paul Dini in the DCU, and so many more hardcovers...someone get me a towel.

5th: This could pay for a nice dinner with the guys for the bachelor party.

6th: I should start a high-yield savings account, the kind Lynne is always telling me to get.

There's enough money to divide it four ways and take care of 3-6. I'm expecting another sum (which is the same amount as the original divided by 4) from a previous freelance job, which can cover my trip up to Bumblefuck to help my dad out after knee-replacement surgery. The operation is on the 24th.

Or I could say fuck all that and get a really nice TV.

And upgrade my RAM,CPU, get a new massive hard drive (oy, the formatting, the partitioning, the installations...how many hours would that take?)...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dammit! I can't make up my mind!

Damned sense of responsibility!

So, why can't this be good? My history with financial luck means I'm going to have $$$$ worth of shit happen to me, and my refund will be $34 short of what's needed to cover the damages.

3 comments:

Lyman said...

This is so weird. The wifey and I just got a refund check from the IRS today that we weren't expecting too.

But I think it would take a lot of pursuading for her to go along with the hookers and blow option.

Lena said...

I'm mailing out my form tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

I'd get the Hookers and the blow, but that's just me...I sent my forms out TODAY(yes, last minute mailings are so calm and soothing). I will get some money back, but not as much as I thought, since my boss didn't take out that much for taxes.

Priestvyrce