Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Good Day.

As noted, yesterday was Free Comic Book Day. I got up early, got my hair cut, and met up with Lynne at about 12:30. The trip to Rocketship was full of silly and inappropriate conversation. We got to Brooklyn, and to sate Lynne's hunger, we stopped at the Flying Saucer Cafe on Atlantic Avenue somewhere around Hoyt or Nevins Street. Grilled cheese sandwiches with a small side salad were devoured, followed by a chocolate-drizzled brownie & a scoop of soft ice cream.

While walking down Smith Street, there was a woman on a picnic table bench with her two dogs. At first, I just noticed the doggies, and commented on them. Lynne said, "You really do have a doggie addiction."

"Well, it was a damn good excuse to check out her legs."

"You're a dirty, dirty old man."

"Hey, I'm deprived...and depraved."

Me am funny.

After a bit more walking, we made it to the greatest comic shop in the world. The freebies I picked up were Unseen Peanuts (previously un-reprinted strips), and Amelia Rules!: Hangin' Out. I happily paid for the seventh volume of the Complete Peanuts, vol 2 of the Complete Dennis the Menace, American Born Chinese, Supermarket, Batman: Detective (tpb of the first chunk of Paul Dini's run), and issue 3 of Jeff Smiths' SHAZAM! Castle Waiting #6 was sold out very quickly, so I missed it (still need #2 & 3 as well). Lots of fine reading ahead of me.

On the way back to the train, we stopped at Starbucks for a quick drink & bathroom break.
We boarded the train again, and listened to whatever was on my mp3 player; mostly classical music. She got off at her stop, and wished me luck for my date that evening.

I met my new friend a little after 6 at the Angelica Kitchen for some good vegetarian food (she's one, too). Good discussion, a bit of laughter here & there. I never felt nervous. Dessert came around, and she commented that my dish (apple raspberry crisp) looked like it was "made with love."

"Hmm, better send it back."

This got us both giggling. Then she won the prize with:

"Too much love to swallow."

I couldn't eat without fear of choking while laughing for a few minutes. It was great.

Afterwards, we walked up to Broadway Billiards and played pool for three hours. She plays in a league with her friends. I haven't played sine the first week of my senior year of college, and not for years before that. She kicked my ass soundly, of course, but I did way better than she (and I) expected. It was pretty fun. Since I'll be working "normal people hours" this week, we may meet up some evening for more.

After that, we wandered around looking for a comfortable bar to hang out in that wasn't packed, obnoxiously loud, or had red lighting in it. Wandered down to Houston Street, and settled in a bar that I'd been to once for a former co-worker's birthday party. They had red lights, but there wasn't a huge crowd, and had comfy seating. The drinks were ridiculously expensive (her beer was $5.50), so we didn't stay very long. We walked over to Ray's Pizza, had some mediocre pizza, and called it a night. I walked her to her subway stop, got a strong hug, and parted at midnight.

I got home a little after 1 AM, and sent her a message saying "Call me anytime." Her response was encouraging.

I got a nice message from someone else, too.

Hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very good day!

It deserves one of these: :-)

Lena said...

Jeff, you're such a slut.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

It sounds like a WONDERFUL day! I could have used one like that myself! I'm so glad that you had a good time and I love that you said you weren't even nervous. Methinks this might bode well for you, yes?

I'm rootin' for you!